Commercial and Tonnage Vehicles
General Information on Gross Weight
- License fees for specific use classes are based on the declared gross weight
- Gross weight fees are calculated in 2,000-pound increments, starting at 4,000 pounds. If the required gross weight is between increments, issue the next higher increment.
- Licensing agents may issue gross weight licenses for the maximum legal limit up to 105,500.
- The "declared gross weight" does not authorize the owner to carry a load exceeding the "maximum legal limit" for the vehicle.
- The declared gross weight of a towing unit does not need to include the weight of a trailer and its load if the trailer is being used for the personal, non-commercial use of the owner of the towing unit.
- The declared gross weight of a vehicle does not need to include the weight of any camper being carried.
Gross Weight: Annual vs. Monthly
The duration for which a customer may purchase a gross weight license depends on the declared gross weight. There are two categories:
- Purchased for 12 months with the same expiration date (month and day) as the registration. If the declared gross weight is 12,000 pounds or less, this is the only option.
- If the declared gross weight is 14,000 pounds or more, the owner has the option of transferring the gross weight license to a replacement vehicle or transferring it with the vehicle to the new owner.
- Purchased for 1 to 11 months. The expiration date of the gross weight is the same day of the month as the expiration date of the vehicle registration.
- The declared must be 14,000 pounds or more.
- When the vehicle is sold, the owner has the option of transferring the license to a gross weight replacement vehicle or transferring it with the vehicle to the new owner.
- At least one month's license gross weight must be purchased when vehicle registration and tabs are being issued. If licensing prior to the current expiration date, gross weight must be purchased for the first month of the new registration year.
- If licensing after the tabs have expired, must be gross weight purchased for the current gross weight month. For example, if the registration year is January 1 through December 31 gross weight, but the customer does not renew until June, gross weight must be purchased for at least the month of June. January through May fees would not be required.
- Once a vehicle is licensed for the year, 3-day trip permits may NOT be used in lieu of a gross weight license. Trip permits may be used only to temporarily increase the current declared gross weight.