Out of State Purchase
Private Party Sale
- If you purchase a vehicle from an out of state private party be sure they provide you with a title signed off by all registered and legal owners listed on the title.
- If the vehicle is 9 years or newer be sure there is also a signature for the Federal odometer disclosure.
- Request a separate Bill of Sale.
If this is an Out of State Gift, the title must show ownership of at least 7 years or proof of sales tax paid by the giver must be included.
If you purchase a vehicle from an out of state dealer be sure you agree whether they are processing a WA title for you with or without a Lender; or a foreign state title with or without a Lender.
- WA title with a Lender – documents can be forwarded to our office by your request for ease of you finalizing the transfer and picking up your new plates and registration
- WA title without a Lender – documents can be forwarded to our office by your request for ease of you finalizing the transfer and picking up your new plates and registration. In some cases a dealer may give the title, odometer disclosure, and bill of sale to the buyer to present at the DOL office.
Foreign state titles (out of state)
- Without a Lender – if a dealer should title the transfer in the state of purchase, the new owner must wait for the new title to be processed and printed before presenting it to WA for transfer of title, plates, and registration
- Foreign state title with a Lender – transfer is being made in the state of purchase with the lender added and given possession of the title. WA registration can be acquired after time has been allowed for this to be processed. The dealer usually gives a temporary registration for the vehicle to allow time for travel and document processing.
- WA registration and plates can be acquired with presentation of the dealer sales documents and a copy of the title being faxed to our office by the lender of record.
- If a dealer temporary is expiring before the lender can provide the copy of the title, a 60-day temporary registration can be issued and begins the process except for the issue of the plates when removing the 60-day temporary