Three Day Trip Permits

What they are, how they're used, conditions and restrictions for use

  • Trip permits allow vehicle owners to operate their unlicensed vehicles on public roads for three consecutive days, beginning with the first day of use. A vehicle is considered unlicensed if...
    • the vehicle tabs are expired, or

    • the current gross weight license is not enough for the load being carried.

  • Trip permits are good for up to 40,000 pounds declared gross weight for a single unit, or 80,000 pounds declared gross weight for a combination of vehicles, not to exceed the vehicle's maximum legal limit. If additional gross weight is needed, the customer would need to apply for a temporary additional tonnage permit from the Department of Transportation.
  • Trip permits may be used to increase current gross weight license. If the tabs are current but the gross weight license is expired, a trip permit may NOT be used. The vehicle owner would need to buy gross weight licensing (a trip permit may NOT be used in lieu of gross weight).
  • Trip permits may NOT be used for non-highway and off-road vehicles (they're for vehicles being used on public highways). Non-highway and off-road vehicles include snowmobiles and ORV use class vehicles.
  • No more than 3 permits may be used for a vehicle in any 30-day period. No more than 2 permits may be used for any one recreational vehicle in a one-year period. Recreational vehicles include motor homes, travel trailers, camp trailers, and campers.
  • Trip permits must be completed, signed, and dated by the vehicle operator before operating the vehicle. Any correction or alteration of data on the permit invalidates the permit.
  • No exchanges, refunds, or credits are given for trip permits once they've been purchased.
One Day Transit Permits

Uses and Restrictions
Vehicle transit permits authorize operation of an unlicensed vehicle in order to obtain documentation required to complete an application for title or registration (they DON'T authorize unrestricted use of the vehicle). Transit permits are valid ONLY for the purposes and dates indicated on the permit. Purposes include...

  • Washington State Patrol inspection
  • Scale weight slip
  • Emission test
  • WSP verification or stolen vehicle
  • Other reasons determined to be necessary
ORV Temporary Use Permits

The temporary off-road/non-highway use permit (aka ORV temporary use permit, or temporary off road vehicle permit) may be issued when the owner of an off-road vehicle chooses not to annually license their vehicle. Non-residents may also obtain the permit for use on their ORV, however it is NOT a requirement that the non-resident registration be current.

Things to keep in mind about the ORV temporary use permit

  • Washington residents who obtain the permit must still apply for certificate of ownership; obtaining the permit does NOT exempt the owner from titling requirements or use tax liability.
  • The permit is valid for 60 days from the date it is issued.
  • It is not transferable and is not for road use.
  • An ORV may be titled (without a current annual ORV use permit) and be issued an ORV temporary use permit.

Note: A Washington resident must title his/her ORV within 15 days of acquisition as penalty fees may apply.  Use tax is collected on title applications, but not on a temporary ORV permit.

WA Dept of Transportation Permits

The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) issues a number of special permits, including:

  • Oversize and Overweight Load permits
  • Temporary Additional Tonnage permits
  • Farm Implement permits
  • Manufactured Mobile Home permits
  • Log Tolerance permits

...and other special commercial vehicle permits. Questions or correspondence relating to special permits should be directed to:

Department of Transportation
ATTN: Motor Carrier Services Office
PO Box 47367
Olympia, WA 98504-7637
Phone: (360) 704-6340
Fax: (360) 704-6350